Saturday, August 22, 2009

BEANS! I canned beans for the first time


Our wonderful friend dropped off 3 big buckets of beans, actually it was two buckets and a bag, but alot all the same. So mom and I found a great recipe for pickled beans and got all of the ingredients this morning. I am not sure if I even like pickled beans but it seem like a good idea to give it a try. We ended up with 6 large cans and 6 medium cans of beans. It was a lot of fun. The longest part was waiting for the dishwasher to finish sanitizing the jars. I was surprised at the amount of vinegar it took but thankfully we had two big jugs. We have to wait a couple of days before we can try them and I just can't wait. Next we are going to do blackberry jam. YUMMY!
I am so excited about all of this because we are working very hard at become a greener and more self sufficient family. It just feels like this is a step in the right direction.,

No comments:

Post a Comment